Tuesday, November 20, 2018

My Ancient Renderings from the 90's

I thought it would give everyone who reads this blog, and my Enscape posts, a good laugh by sharing some of my earliest renderings, all dated from the mid 1990's... I am older than I look I am told;)

All of these renderings were created in AutoCAD + Accurender with no post-processing; sound familiar (Revit + Enscape with no PP). AutoCAD can create some pretty decent 3D models, in fact - but, I did not use the word "easy". And, Accurender, an add-in to AutoCAD, was created by McNeel & Associates, the same people who make Rhino. Accurender was the first rendering engine in Revit (I am not talking about an add-in, it was the built-in renderer), but has since been replaced twice by Autodesk.

All of these projects are located in, or around, the city I live, Duluth, MN, USA, in except the courthouse.

Catholic Church Remodel


Additionally...



Accurender used a fractal algorithm to generate the foliage, making each tree slightly different automatically. We could even specify the season (Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall) and the trees would change color or lose their leaves.

Proposed Condo (never built)



County Courthouse

Here is the courthouse space I recently updated in Enscape... see more at the bottom of this post.


Public School - Secondary Tech Building

It still not easy in Revit, but it was even harder to model sloped ground surfaces in AutoCAD - we did not have any "civil" version of AutoCAD then.



Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Area Headquarters


Proposed Public Golf Course Clubhouse (never built)



Proposed Public Golf Course Clubhouse (never built)



Northwest Airlines Maintenance Facility (Northwest was acquired by Delta)


I recently wrote a blog post of Enscape titled BEST PRACTICES: FINDING THE RIGHT PERSPECTIVE. In this post I linked the 1990's CAD model into Revit and assigned materials to Layers via the Object Styles dialog. The results are stunning, especial compared to the 20+ year old version above. But, hey... these renderings were not bad in their day!

The main reason I thought to use this project in that article was to highlight the architectural 2-point perspective option, which is great for odd-shared spaces like this. Accurender had this setting and so does Enscape. BTW, these images use the ArchVision + Axyz entourage content.




Watch for my next post which will show some original screen shots of the rendering options within Revit.

Fun stuff...

For BIM Chapters updates, follow @DanStine_MN on Twitter