Monday, April 20, 2020

Creating a Wind Turbine Blade in Revit using a Swept Blend

Today's post is a how-to on using Revit's Swept Blend tool to create complex geometry. In this example I will approximate a wind turbine blade.


Keep reading to learn more...

To show how I created this, I will essentially work backwards...

FYI: for this example, you can do an internet search for drawings showing the profile(s) and overall shape of a blade.

In Revit's family editor, in a Generic Model.rfa family, I used the Swept Blend tool to create the blade. As you can see in the image below, I created segments that transition between profiles that define the blade along a path.



The profiles where selected, within the Swept Blend tool, from a list of profiles I created ahead of time.



Here is an example of one of the profile families. As you can tell, it is not very accurate, but does the job. I started with the generic Profile.rfa family. There is one for each segment loaded into the main blade family.



This blade family can be loaded into another family and copied to further develop the wind turbine or loaded directly into a project to be used in a deconstructionist fashion!


Update

Here is a video showing why this was created in Revit:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWbrlYprzhY 






For BIM Chapters updates, follow @DanStine_MN on Twitter or connect on LinkedIn

Check out my video-based  courses on ArchSmarter.

I also write blog posts for Enscape - a new paradigm in rendering, animation and VR for AEC.