Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Revit Problem Changing Model Group in Type Selector During Placement

Last week I happened across a Revit bug, confirmed by Autodesk support, that I thought I would share in case others run into it... when a certain condition exists, it is not possible to change the Type Selector during placement of a Model Group.

Update: Autodesk just published this AKN article about this issue: Group to be placed is unable to be changed in type selector in Revit


keep reading to learn more...


Turns out, if you create a Model Group which only contains Model Lines, you can no longer pick other Model Groups during placement. Here is a short video showing how I was able to easily recreate this bug:



Workarounds include adding some solid geometry to the model group (see image below), placing the model-lines-only group and then swapping it out with another group via the Type Selector, or placing the desired model group via the Project Browser.




For BIM Chapters updates, follow @DanStine_MN on Twitter or connect on LinkedIn

Check out my video-based  courses on ArchSmarter.

I also write blog posts for Enscape - a new paradigm in rendering, animation and VR for AEC.