Monday, July 15, 2019

Off Topic: The Creation of a Tooth

I have been pretty busy lately and not able to write many posts here on BIM Chapters.

Today, I have some photos and video to share from almost a year ago... the creation of a tooth:) I had a cracked tooth and needed a crown. My local dentist has the technology and equipment to make a tooth, and all during a single visit!

My dentist, at Kenwood Dental, is great and let me take pictures/videos.

Read on to learn more...
First, here is the machine that scanned my mouth. The scanner is attached to the end of the tube/hose-looking thing. Total geek, I talked my dentist through the steps to see what the graphics card was... NVIDIA GeForce 1060.


Here is the scan of my mouth...


And a video, showing how the scan can be navigated on-screen to facilitate a visual review.


Next, off to an adjacent room with the water-based CNC-type router:) Normally the patient does need to leave the chair... but, again, nerd.


A close up photo of the action...


And a video...


And, finally, here is the tooth about to be glued into my head! The original tooth was ground out, and then scanned about to define the bottom side of the 3D tooth; sort of a peg and hole connection.


Fun stuff.



For BIM Chapters updates, follow @DanStine_MN on Twitter or connect on LinkedIn

I also write blog posts for Enscape - a new paradigm in rendering, animation and VR for AEC.