Friday, August 23, 2019

Off Topic: 360 Video of my Bike Ride Home from Work

A little 'Friday fun' share today...

Last Friday I strapped a GoPro Fusion 360 spherical camera to my helmet and recorded my bicycle ride home. The ride is partially along Lake Superior; which is the largest fresh water lake in the world, 10% of the earth's fresh water and the same size as Ireland. Our city, Duluth, Minnesota, USA, (the world's most in-land port) is on a hillside, so my ride home is about a 500 feet vertical climb (equal to about a 40 story building :)).


Notice the LHB logo in the image above? Click to enlarge the image...

Keep reading to learn more...

Needless to day, biking to work is a lot easier! My ride starts out, without any warm up, at over 30 mph (48 kph) so it is a bit chilly, even on a warm northern Minnesota day:) Here is a screen shot of my Fitbit watch/app showing the speed... can you tell where my coffee stop is:)


Here is the 360 video... if you watch it on your mobile device, just move it around to "look around". On a computer, drag your cursor around on the screen to "look around". It also looks cool in a Google Cardboard viewer, or in a VR headset like Vive or Oculus as they both support 360 YouTube videos.

https://youtu.be/Q508SjCdMH8


The scenery is varied and beautiful! From streets, to the big lake to a wooded creek...



Other uses for this camera:




For BIM Chapters updates, follow @DanStine_MN on Twitter or connect on LinkedIn

Check out my video-based  courses on ArchSmarter.

I also write blog posts for Enscape - a new paradigm in rendering, animation and VR for AEC.