Thursday, November 12, 2020

Lighting Design and Real-Time Rendering at the University of Minnesota - Fall 2020

Yesterday, from 1,200 miles (1,931 kilometers) away, I once again had the good fortune to present to Professor Abimbola O. Asojo's  students at the University of Minnesota. I covered lighting analysis using the Autodesk Revit add-in ElumTools by Lighting Analysts, Inc. I also spent some time on real-time rendering using Enscape!

With the everyone's permission... I took this screenshot:)



keep reading to learn more...
Although I moved across the country to become the Director of Design Technology at Lake | Flato Architects in San Antonio, Texas, and can no longer present in person -- which did not matter this year due to the pandemic -- I was happy to present remotely!

This class is part of the new lighting design minor (see related link below) offered by the University of Minnesota College of Design. Thus, this class had architecture and interior design students in attendance. Class info: IDES 3612/5612 Lighting Design.

Here is a little information on the two tools I presented on...

ElumTools is a professional lighting analysis tool, made by the same folks who make a standalone tool called AGI32. As seen in the image below, this tool allows lighting designers to validate light levels based on the number, location, and type of luminaire selected for a space. Proper lighting levels promote health and wellbeing as well as improves energy efficiency.
Tip: this tool can be accessed for free by students (via your professor/instructor's request to ElumTools).


Enscape is a real-time rendering tool that works with Revit, Rhino, and SketchUp. This tool improves the design workflow by offering real-time feedback on design decisions made in the design platform. The iamge below is a Revit model rendered with Enscape, and has no post production (i.e. no Photoshop work)!
TIP: Enscape is free to students as well!


Check out my Enscape galley by clicking here.

Speaking of Enscape, I write blog posts for their website, and the very first post I wrote for them was about a U of M presentation I did back in 2016. You can see that post here: University of Minnesota’s Interior Design Students Learn about Enscape.





For BIM Chapters updates, follow @DanStine_MN on Twitter or connect on LinkedIn

Check out my video-based  courses on ArchSmarter.

I also write blog posts for Enscape - a new paradigm in rendering, animation and VR for AEC.