Saturday, September 8, 2018

Autodesk Revit Code Animated and In Person

Recently, Harlan Brumm, Revit Product Manager at Autodesk, posted something very interesting on Twitter... as seen in the image below (click image to go to Twitter).


Here is a link to the YouTube video showing the Revit code evolve over the last twenty years!



In the video you can see the date at the top of the screen. The earliest date is 1998-05-28. The first
official public release of Revit was 1.0 in April of 2000. You can see the timeline in this AUGI post by David ConantRevit Timeline (W.I.P.).

Two years ago, when I was at the Autodesk office in Shanghai China I got to see in the 'belly of the beast'... i.e. a portion of the Revit core code on a computer screen. I got in early one day, during Inside the Factory: Revit to play some table tennis with one of the developers. While we were at his desk, I asked to see some code and he showed me some! It looked liked real code:) I didn't understand any of it. haha

Below is Sky, the Autodesk developer, playing table tennis with one of the ITF customers from the USA - she was awesome and usually won! This is in the break room and exercise space which is beautiful! Also pictured is my friend/Autodesk'er Dudu and if you look closely in the reflection you can see another friend from Mecanoo Architects in Europe, Johan Hanegraaf. I saw Johan again last year at BILT in Denmark and will see him again in just a few weeks in Ljubljana, Slovenia:)


Check of the view they have in this space! The campus has wooded green space on three sides and a river on the fourth.


Pretty cool stuff, if you ask me!

For BIM Chapters updates, follow @DanStine_MN on Twitter