Tuesday, September 3, 2019

NDSU - First Week of School - Fall 2019

The first week of another school year is in the books at NDSU in Fargo, North Dakota, USA. Today's post is about that first class and a more.


Keep reading to learn more...
I have been teaching this Building Information Modeling seminar since the Fall of 2014. Also, in Spring 2014, I started teaching in the Interior Design program, which is on the main campus; which I only did for two years.
FYI: Prior to all of this, I taught in the architectural technology program at Lake Superior College in Duluth, MN, USA for 12 years. All of this, while working full-time+ at an architecture firm:)
The NDSU School of Architecture is located in a beautiful downtown setting, apart from the main campus which is just a few miles away.





The architecture program now has a dedicated VR lab. I consulted with the program technology director Ben Bernard, based on what we have done at LHB (see related link below). The carpet is a great addition, which Ben added as a tactile way of knowing when you are approaching the edge of the 'play area' while in VR.


I thought we where clever at LHB when we 3D printed objects to hold our HTC Vive headset... a student created a custom ceramic head as pictured below!


Program Director of Architecture, Cindy Urness, was there to meet me at my first class.


And, then the class... I can already tell we have another great group of students eager to learn all things BIM, including conceptual massing, early energy analysis, lighting analysis and much more!



The screen in this room is huge!


I brought one of LHB's Microsoft HoloLens devices to class, and several students stuck around after class to try it out! The photo below is Ben Bernard checking out a hologram of an LHB project.



Related posts:


For BIM Chapters updates, follow @DanStine_MN on Twitter or connect on LinkedIn

Check out my video-based  courses on ArchSmarter.

I also write blog posts for Enscape - a new paradigm in rendering, animation and VR for AEC.