Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Infraworks and 3Dconnexion Mouse Navigation

I was recently asked if the 3Dconnexion mouse works in Autodesk Infraworks (IW).

Answer: Yes, it does. Check out the video below.

I hadn’t tried it in about two years so I just tried it again and it still works! It is still a little odd in that it can be super smooth and then when I am over an element like a road or building, it pauses or jumps slightly (I think that is the reason). But still totally worth it. This is the only way, in Revit, Revizto, Enscape, Infraworks, you can move five ways at the same time with one hand!


The next two images show my personal 3Dconnexion 3D mouse, but you can by with the cheaper...
one with just the "puck" part in the middle. This one has several built-in and customization shortcut buttons.


Additionally, the driver supports several standard programs in the AEC space. For example, when Revit is the active application, these shortcuts appear - I did not add these.


BTW, it is also possible to edit the buttons...


When an application is active, the buttons automatically change as shown below...


To see this 3D mouse in action, watch this short video I created navigating Infraworks using the 3Dconnexion mouse: https://youtu.be/Q_aPJQ1sQw4



For more about the 3D mouse, click here: https://www.3dconnexion.com/

For more about Infraworks, click here: https://www.autodesk.com/products/infraworks/overview

Recent related BIM Chapters post: Infraworks to Revit add-in

For BIM Chapters updates, follow @DanStine_MN on Twitter