Friday, January 3, 2020

Trimble XR10 with Microsoft HoloLens 2 in Action

In today's post I will share some video of the new Trimble XR10 with Microsoft HoloLens 2 in action using the Trimble Connect workflow to load a Revit model into the device. Here at LHB, we have been using Augmented Reality in architecture for over two years, e.g. click here, and are excited to jump right in to this new technology and start leveraging its new features!


Last week I wrote about receiving this new device and offered up an unboxing video, which you can check out here: Trimble XR10 with Microsoft HoloLens 2 Unboxing Video

Keep reading to learn more...

The process of getting an Autodesk Revit model into the XR10 is pretty easy...
  • Install Trimble Connect add-in for Revit (Revit 2020 not support, yet?)
    • Or, just export an FBX file (I have not tried this yet)
  • Open the Revit model, click the Trimble Connect Export command
  • Select a location within Trimble Connect to save the export
  • In the XR10, browse to that location within Trimble Connect for AR
  • Launch the model

Once open you can just reach out and grab the model with your hands to move, scale and rotate it - no commands required. In the image above, you can see how a virtual copy of my hands appear aligned with my real hands. Pretty cool.

Below are four quick videos I created while using the device; the HoloLens 2 is able to record a composite video of reality and the hologram I was seeing. I have not had much time to test this out yet, so things are not super smooth, but at the same time you will be able to see how easy everything really is to learn and use.

Example 01 https://youtu.be/m2MnK5JHvyI
This video contains no Audio. First look at Trimble's XR10 with Microsoft HoloLens 2 using a sample Revit model designed by LHB, the architecture and engineering firm I work for. In this first video I show how the Trimble Connect for AR software allows for basic hand movements to control the location of the model and the use of the super cool section box tool.



Example 02 https://youtu.be/jDvldQfjWGk
In this second video I show how the Trimble Connect for AR software facilitates measuring in both the model and real world. Notice, in the image below, I am measuring the carpet tile in the room.



Example 03 https://youtu.be/nkULGsHdb2g
In this third video I show how the Trimble Connect for AR software allows information within the Revit model to be visualized.



Example 04 https://youtu.be/Q6WYSgbo_W4
In this fourth video I show how the Trimble Connect for AR software supports a 'street view' mode to visualize the model at full scale. Check out the cool AR user interface you can access at anytime, just by looking at your left palm and then clicking the "Trimble" button that appears above your fingers.


Finally, I should mention that the expanded field of view touted in the lead up to the release of the HoloLens 2 really delivers on an improved experience. Gone is the distinct postage stamp-like cropped view in front of you, which is replaced with a view where I could really only see a bottom edge.

Also, the brightness is certainly noticeable. In the photo below, and in the videos, you can see I am in a room with a large expanse of windows and the shades are fully open (although it was a very cloudy day). With the original HoloLens I would always close the shades to get an optimal experience.



Fun stuff! Stay tuned for more...



For BIM Chapters updates, follow @DanStine_MN on Twitter or connect on LinkedIn

Check out my video-based  courses on ArchSmarter.

I also write blog posts for Enscape - a new paradigm in rendering, animation and VR for AEC.