Monday, March 30, 2020

Staff Training During The COVID-19 Pandemic

Last week I had the opportunity to deliver staff training, here at LHB, during the COVID-19 pandemic with everyone working from home. Turns out, having a captive audience is highly conducive to favorable attendance! Thus, this is the topic of today's post.


Keep reading to learn more...
We had 55 people in attendance! For this training we used a special feature within Microsoft Teams called Live Event. This facilitates a webinar-style presentation where we had someone designated at Producer and monitored the questions so I could focus on presenting. This method can support a crazy number of attendees... 10k I think?
Funny thing... when doing a Live Event, Teams can show a live video feed of more than four at a time! For those designated as presenters. In normal meeting mode it is limited to four concurrent live videos... but, I hear they are working on this limitation.
The photo above is of me doing the training... thanks to my daughter, Kayla, for sneaking in for this:) I have my work computer setup net to my normal home work area, which is in an extra bedroom in our house. As you can see, I have a lot of books... most of which are mine:) Since I update the Autodesk books every year, I end up with one or two copies.

Before the training I asked folks to try and get a photo of themselves in the training for marketing purposes... and what can I say, we have creative people:) The image below is of architect Caralyn Kieper having some Snapchat fun:)


The training was on CTC Software's Hive; a cloud-based content management system for Revit, AutoCAD and more. We have been using it over the last year, specific by those who would occasionally work remote, against Autodesk's BIM 360 Design. It is nice to not have to connect to the company server at all (e.g. via VPN), as that tends to slow things down.

The first image below shows details, from our detail library. The second iamge shows wall types and how other files can be attached for reference. Both of these items, drafting views and wall types, are being pulled from a host Revit project file. This is a great way to access data without needing to host it in your template or open a container file.




Speaking of working from home... here is a photo a snuck of my son doing 'school form home' in the next room. There is a computer in front of him... he is not just daydreaming out the window:)


Fun stuff!


For BIM Chapters updates, follow @DanStine_MN on Twitter or connect on LinkedIn

Check out my video-based  courses on ArchSmarter.

I also write blog posts for Enscape - a new paradigm in rendering, animation and VR for AEC.