Wednesday, March 11, 2020

BIM Thoughts Podcast and Winter Biking

I had the opportunity to be a guest on the podcast BIM Thoughts again. This new episode is now live.

In this podcast we talk about the fun we are having at LHB using things like VR, AR, Enscape, Fuzor, Yulio, Trimble XR10 with Microsoft HoloLens 2 and more! My winter commuting in Northern Minnesota was also a topic of discussion:)



Keep reading to learn more...

Thanks to the hosts, Bill Debevc, Carl Storms and Dana De Filippi for having me on. Be sure to check out the Show Notes via the link below for additional info!

    Here is a link to the episode: Click Here.


In the podcast I am refered to as the "polar bear" because I ride my bike to work nearly every day in the winter:) This is a great workout as the ride home is close to a 500 foot (152 M) vertical climb! On the way to work, 'bombing' down the hillside, I often reach speeds of 30+ MPH (48 KPH)... which results in a wicked windchill! This, the fully covered face.


We get a lot of snow... here is a snowbank on the side of the road that is taller than my bike.


My handle bars have gloves! These are mechanically attached to the handle bars and provide extra protection from the elements, in addition to regular winter gloves... which is great when it is -15 F (-26 C).


Studded tires are a must, as I mentioned in the podcast, rubber does not stick to ice. A lot of people are getting fat tire bikes, but they tend to be more for trail riding... the path I ride on is plowed on days when it snows out... but I have ridden in snowstorms with 2-4 inches of fresh snow on the ground.


I leave pretty early, so I have a super bright headlight...


In the podcast I mention the bike storage room at LHB. The first photo below is a typical summer day, with several bikes hanging off the walls. The second photo is from a few weeks ago... only two of us in the winter, so no need to hang bike.



Related post:




For BIM Chapters updates, follow @DanStine_MN on Twitter or connect on LinkedIn

Check out my video-based  courses on ArchSmarter.

I also write blog posts for Enscape - a new paradigm in rendering, animation and VR for AEC.