Wednesday, February 9, 2022

University of Minnesota - Lighting Design Presentation

Yesterday I had the opportunity to present on lighting design at the University of Minnesota. Today's post will highlight my presentation where I discussed:
  • Design Performance at Lake|Flato
  • Workflow (electric lighting): Lighting design using Revit + Elumtools
  • Workflow (daylighting): Access and glare using Rhino + Climate Studio

keep reading to learn more...

The last time I presented for this class in the University of Minnesota's College of Design was February 2020. I had presented in-person and still lived in Minnesota... a lot has changed since then!

Both architecture and interior design students are taking this class, which is taught by Tao Ham, Lighting Designer at HGA, in Minneapolis. Here we are, pictured below from my previous in-person presentation...



The class went really well with several great questions from the students! Below are the highlights of the two topics I presented on.

Revit + ElumTools

ElumTools is a professional lighting design add-in for Revit by Lighting Analysts, makers of AGI32. This add-in is used to calculate light levels based on the model geometry, surface properties/reflectances, and photometry associated with the lighting fixture content placed in the model.



Rhino + Climate Studio

Climate Studio is an add-in to Rhino created by Solemma, makers of another popular add-in called Diva. We ue this toolset to study the quality of daylighting within a space, based on the 3D model, surface materials/reflectances, and glazing properties. An example annual analysis is shown below.





I have previously presented on a similar topic for the interior design program, as I wrote about here: Lighting Design at the University of Minnesota - Fall 2018 and then this same class in February of 2020: UofM College of Design Presentation - Lighting Design.


Related posts:


For BIM Chapters updates, follow @DanStine_MN on Twitter or connect on LinkedIn

Check out my video-based  courses on ArchSmarter.

I also write blog posts for Enscape - a new paradigm in rendering, animation and VR for AEC.